5 Must Haves For Your Virtual Paint Party Setup




 *Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase.


It’s no secret that paint party business owners are having to pivot big time to stay afloat during this global pandemic. I was one of many entrepreneurs who was nervous and scared about the future of my business back in March 2020. There was no time to freeze up, because I was at risk of losing everything that I had worked so hard to build. That is when I was introduced to “Virtual Paint Parties.” I took a training about how to navigate quickly and on a budget, and I’ve been managing to stay afloat ever since.

So since I’m a little bit past my one year mark of being a full time entrepreneur, I’ve had some time to test things out and share what I’ve learned. With that being said, here is my list of 5 must-haves for your virtual paint party studio:

1. A Quality Webcam

Screen Shot 2021-08-29 at 3.06.30 PM.png

When I first started with virtual paint parties, I just used my laptop’s built-in webcam. At the time, it seemed to work enough, I just had to have lots of light around me. But looking back, it was a bit grainy and I was constantly getting headaches from all the lamps I needed to have to compensate for the camera. My fiancé recommended the Logitech C920 Webcam and the rest is history! It’s one of the more reasonably priced, quality webcams out there. Ya’ll, when I say my videos are now CLEAR clear, I mean it! I’m talking high quality, portrait mode blurred background and all! Since our job is to teach something visually, it’s very important that our participants can see us, so a webcam makes all the difference!

2. Good Lighting

Screen+Shot+2021-08-29+at+3.06.36+PM.jpg

So along with a quality camera, good lighting is an absolute MUST! Like I said previously, I was using lots of fluorescent lamps around me before to help brighten my space while on camera, but I would get headaches after every virtual painting session. It’s good to keep costs down when first starting a business venture, but some things are worth it to upgrade when you can afford to do so. Once I had completed enough events and reached a savings goal, I decided to invest in dimmable studio lights. I actually saw a hair YouTuber with the lights, and that’s what gave me the idea! The Dazzne desk-mount LED lights were one of the best investments I could have made for my virtual paint party studio! They come in a set of 2 with a remote that allows you to adjust the brightness and color tone.

3. Calming Light Filters

Screen Shot 2021-08-29 at 3.06.58 PM.png

For lighting, it’s important to have the light coming from in front of you (which is why many people sit in front of a window while on camera) to make your face easier to see. With that in mind, it’s harmful to stare directly into bright lights as it can affect your vision and cause headaches. With that in mind, I also recommend using light filters. I bought these GlareShade light filters that are actually made for classroom fluorescent ceiling lights, but they work as a great diffuser for me. As artists, we tend to like dim mood lighting as we create, but that doesn’t always translate the best when you’re on camera. With the combination of studio lights and filters, I can get the mood lighting I want while also making sure that my face and work is well lit in a safer way.

4. A Good Microphone

Screen Shot 2021-08-29 at 3.07.07 PM.png

Making sure your virtual paint party attendees can hear you is an essential part of the job. Since we’re giving instructions on how to paint, having a good microphone can really make or break the outcome of the party. I tested out a number of different options — using my computer’s built-in mic, using a USB tabletop mic, and using a lapel mic. My computer, of course, did not pick up my voice well enough for all virtual participants to hear me. The USB tabletop mic was good when it was right next to me, but anytime I moved around, my voice would trail off. That’s when I decided that the PowerDewise Professional Lapel Microphone was the best option for me. The sound comes across clear, crisp, and at a good volume without static. When I first started using it, I wore it clipped to the collar of my shirt, with it plugged into my computer. Now, I just keep it pinned to my camera, so it’s close enough to pick up my voice and I don’t have to constantly move it.

5. Comfortable Headphones

Screen Shot 2021-08-29 at 3.06.52 PM.png

Ya’ll, tell me why I got an ear infection from wearing earbud headphones! So here’s how it went… I started with wearing AirPods (not pro, so if you’ve worn them you know that means they don’t fit snug), but they kept falling out of my ears during a virtual party. I decided to try new ones that were made to be snug, but I just kept feeling like they were irritating my ears, and never really felt natural. I kept trying to make them work but after a week or so, my ears started feeling itchy and dry, and I started getting vertigo (dizzy, spinning feeling, nauseous). Turns out, I had an ear infection, and my doctor told me that some people just can’t handle putting things in their ears. Crazy right?! I had never really worn earbuds much before then, and being a 90s child, I mostly wore bigger headphones (that cover your whole ears), but I wanted to be a little more sleek during virtual paint parties. With this dilemma in mind, I started searching the internet for better solutions that weren’t giant headphones, and that’s when I found Over-Ear Headphones by the company AfterShokz. They are pretty discreet, have good sound quality and volume range. You may ask, why use headphones at all? Well, since paint parties are meant to be social and interactive, it’s important to be able to clearly hear when someone has a question or is engaging you in conversation. With virtual paint parties, that’s still important, and wearing headphones allows you to hear much more clearly when you’re working with a group on Zoom, and especially if you’re also playing background music.

So there you have it, my 5 must-haves for your virtual paint party studio! Did you find this helpful? Send me a comment below and let me know!

Comments