*DISCLOSURE: Some of the links below are affiliate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase.
I receive a lot of questions from other artists looking for ways to grow their businesses. Specifically, people want to know more about how to start hosting their own paint parties.
By definition, a “paint party” is a social event where an instructor teaches a painting to a group of people in about 2 hours. This is different from a traditional art class, because there is typically music, sometimes trivia, food, and drinks. The goal is to get people to loosen up and have fun while painting.
I’ve been working in the “paint party/paint and sip” business for about 2.5 years now, and it actually appears to be even more popular than when it started around 2007. Back then, franchises were in control of the market. Some had brick and mortar BYOB locations, while others had contracts with local bars and restaurants to exclusively host events.
Next, art studios and art centers got in on the action and started hosting their own virtual paint parties, even adding a mobile component to their services. Today, those business still exist, however, the market has expanded even more to where individual artists, like myself, are starting their own paint party businesses.
Running my own paint party business allows me the flexibility to travel for events based on my own schedule, choose my own pay, and pick the designs I want to teach.
Before I started my own business, I spent a summer working in a paint and sip studio for $25 an hour. Sounds nice right? There was of course a catch…no scheduling guarantees, no pay guarantee, last minute cancellations up until 2 hours before the event, and I also didn’t get to keep the finished paintings I taught. Now, running my own paint party business, I charge starting at $25 per person.
Now with a global pandemic causing many people to switch to working online, the virtual paint party market is definitely one to tap into as well, as it allows you to reach worldwide audiences. Now is the time to get creative with your income, and this business can definitely be a great contributor.
The biggest thing I’ve learned over the years, which has become my secret to a successful paint party business, is that you have to learn from people who have been successful at it. Investing in learning the business is the key way to get ahead, but you have to invest in the right resources.
Initially, I wasted a lot of time and money just trying things out from what I was seeing others doing on social media, just because they had a lot of followers and seemed to be flashy and making lots of money. Yes, that got me a little further than where I started initially, but nowhere near where I wanted to be, and where I am now.
Everything changed for me when I discovered Heidi Easley through an Amazon ebook called, Paint Party Business: A Step by Step Guide on How to Make Money Teaching Paint Parties.
For the first time, I actually read reviews on the book before purchasing, and it seemed to be promising. From the very first pages she was already answering SO many questions I’d had and giving me a new way to think about things. As someone with no prior business experience, this was so educational for me! She presented the information in such a simply way from the perspective of a teaching artist, and was exactly what I needed.
Now, the book was a starter for information, and I gained even more in-depth information and support from her monthly membership, Paint Party Headquarters. The membership gives me everything I need to run a successful paint party business, including:
- Access to a library of 100+ painting designs that I can use for paint parties and kits, so I don’t have to worry about creating new designs all the time. This was a huge benefit for me, because sometimes I have creative blocks and just can’t think up new designs so quickly.
- Access to a Facebook group of over 1,000 members where I can ask questions, share wins, network, and trade ideas. Heidi and the Paint Party Headquarters Team (PPHQ) are also very active in the group and they answer questions as well.
- Training on gathering supplies and pricing for paint kits and in-person events
- Monthly training on marketing and social media
- Step by step tutorials on how to get paid for my expertise, and so much more!
Basically, Paint Party Headquarters does all the heavy lifting so I don’t have to. This way, I can focus on having fun teaching art. So if you are looking to start or grow your paint party, I highly recommend joining Paint Party Headquarters.
The membership typically only accepts new members once a year, so I encourage you to sign up or join the waitlist soon if you’re serious . Once you’re in, you have the option to cancel your membership at any time if you don’t think it’s a good fit, but I highly doubt you will want to. I’ve been a member for almost a year now, and it continues to provide me with so much value.
Again, my secret to running a successful paint party business is by learning from people who have been successful at it. By investing in the knowledge, you are investing in yourself. To sign up or join the waitlist for Paint Party Headquarters, you can use my link HERE
*DISCLOSURE: Some of the links included in this post are affiliate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase.*

Comments
Post a Comment